1/23/13

blackbean santa fe salad (a recipe post)


every so often i will get a craving for THIS amazingly delicious salad at which point i wheedle poor brian to take me out for a dinner date so i can order it, stuff my belly full and consider my cravings satisfied.  until the next time.
but at $12.79 a visit it did seem a tad expensive when i started thinking about the simple fresh ingredients (it's salad!!!) and the cost to buy and make it myself.  so i did my research.
  • garden greens (so, lettuce?)
  • canned black beans
  • chopped tomatoes
  • canned corn - "roasted corn medley"
  • roasted sweet peppers
  • citrus vinaigrette dressing (they used to use a wonderfully spicy ranch dressing which i much preferred so i will be looking for that on the grocery shelves instead)
  • shredded cheese
  • guacamole
  • lemon juice for zippiness

so yummy!
i chose to buy canned ingredients because a)i like the idea of having them on hand when the craving hits and b)i was not able to find any recipes that worked for me.  if you have any tips, tricks or links to share, please do so.
call me crazy but i was also thinking of making this to use as a topping for veggie burgers.  just imagine it piled high between a toasted whole wheat bun, with cucumber slices... i drool as i type.